Do I have to be fast to join the group?
Absolutely not! In fact, we have more people in our group who run slower than 10 minutes a mile than faster. We have the following pace groups - 7/7:30, 8/8:30, 9:00, 9:30, 10:00, 10:20, 10:40, 11:00, 11:15, 11:30, 11:45, 12/12:30, Run/Walk, and Walkers – so we offer a group for all abilities.
Will I have people to run with at my distance?
With a large group (over 250 in the spring and fall and 150 in the winter) divided into pace groups that range from 7 to 14 minutes a mile, your chances are high in terms of finding people to run at your pace and distance. We offer multiple mileage options so that you can stick to the distance that works for you given your ability and training schedule. Unique to our group, we also offer a loop option which allows you to stay with people going twice as long before taking a short cut back to the start.
Is this a group a beginner can join?
We’ll get new runners at the beginning of each spring (January) and summer/fall (June) program and have lots of friendly folks who welcome new runners. It doesn’t get much better than to learn from those who have been there before and who want to help you avoid the common growing pains of starting out. For those who want to play it safe as they ease into running, our Run/Walk leader takes them under her wing as they average 13-14 minutes a mile while settling into a run/walk method of running 3 minutes and walking 1 minute. Many go on to graduate to the faster pace groups as they gain experience.
Do you only meet on Saturdays?
We meet for everyones’ longest run of the week. It is the one workout that people most appreciate having others to run with along with the convenience of aid stations and the adventure in exploring scenic routes throughout the city. However, it’s easy to connect with a variety of informal groups that meet throughout the week in different parts of the city. We also offer organized Tuesday speed workouts along with Monday morning and Wednesday evening runner specific strength & mobility classes at various points during the year.
What make this program worth signing up for?
While there are certainly free running groups out there if you don’t already have a group of people that you run with, our emphasis on lowering your risk of injuries makes our group stand out. Injuries are the number one momentum killer for all runners, regardless if they want to run for fun, fitness, friends, or performance. With up to 8 out of 10 getting injured each year, we strive to lower your risk in an effective and convenient manner by offering a:
- foam rollers and massage sticks are provided to loosen up with before and after the run
- a light 10 minute running specific strength workout with small bands is offered before the group runs
- pre run dynamic warm up routine (light strengthening, balance work, and stretching exercises)
- having our pace group leaders help you warm up intelligently with a conservative pace
- a mobility station in the middle of the run to loosen back up (key mobility activities are demonstrated)
- weekly training tips
- a training handbook full of injury prevention tips
- low injury risk, yet effective training schedules that can be easily customizable to fit your life schedule
- we meet from a variety of health professional clinics or invite health professional to group runs to provide complimentary evaluations
Simply put, by signing up for our program, you’ll lower the risk of getting injured, and in the process, save yourself lots of time, money, and heartache!
Can I try it out first?
Absolutely! We encourage people to enjoy a complimentary for any of our programs to see if it’s a good fit. You can check us out anytime throughout the year. Simply email Coach Valdez at [email protected] .